Monday, August 02, 2010

August 150

I am, despite my better judgement, taking part in @phillconnell's August 150 target for miles ridden in a month. I must confess, the canal ride will form the body of my 150 miles and I am slightly ashamed of that, but riding that distance in 3-4 days will mean, hopefully, that next month I can do 150 easily just at weekends.

The rules can be found over at Phill Connells Blog (the link is to the description of the June 100 but the rules remain the same, only the distance has increased). Commuter miles don't count which is what has stopped me entering before - I'll be riding 30 miles this week meaning legs left to do leisure miles will probably be zero - so it all has to come from weekend riding and I'm just not fit enough yet to rack those kinds of miles up in a normal month.


So, because Every Trail threw a fit every time I tried to insert a camera picture, my only proof of the miles I've done today is a pic from the odometer of my new Strada which I used for the first time today. It strikes me as quite fitting that I opened it on Saturday evening, thus meaning all miles on that odometer until the end of the month contribute to the challenge. It seems.....appropriate. 




Yep, it says 10.2 miles. Not 6 months ago, there is no way on earth I could have done what I did today. I got to 5 miles and was still talking about going around again. The only reason we didn't go around again was a pressure headache due to impending clouds and possibly storm which can be rather beautifully illustrated in the shot below.




The 17% climb which preceded this view did nothing for my head either. However, the descent down the other side, once I'd brave the herd of cows (yes, I know) was a wonderful reward. Steepest I've ridden down, slightly loose and shaley, nice exposure to reward those who take their eye of the ball with a broken something and a fabulous babbling brook at the bottom for those with no pads left to crash into. Bottle, reacquired. All the damage to confidence of Llandegla a distant memory. Reminder of why I do this received and understood. 


The walkers were all surprisingly chirpy too. We went from Rivington Barn, past Yarrow (easiest hill ever thanks to the surface, my bike seems to eat those little rocks for breakfast), down across a damn, around the corner along another lane, off onto another bridleway than runs under the new trails at Healey Nab. Looked at Healey Nab. Decided not to ruin confidence building day with Healey Nab. On down the other side, across another damn, up the hill of doom (I pushed some of it, I don't care what you think of me), past the bloke in the United Utilities van looking at me like I was a loon, through the herd of cows, down the permissive bridleway (what does the permissive mean?), give the brakes a work out, along the stream to the right, pop out somewhere I can't remember, somehow end up going back down the lovely easy ascent past Yarrow which has now turned into a gorgeous descent, endless wriggles through little rocks where the rain has eroded the sandy path, through a gate, past the walkers who can see my grin from 5 miles away and return it (I think they must have been temporarily bike removed people, because they really did give me the biggest grin), off the brakes, in to the land of 'I know what I'm doing, I do, I do!', popping back out onto the tarmac and down into Rivington village back along past the Go Ape. 


Arrive at the Barn to bemused glances from the bikers with engines. Don't care any more, don't care about being mud splattered, don't care that I'm fat and eating flapjack, don't care that my hair is a mess, don't care that my bike is no longer white but brown.

Hi, my name is Louise. I'm 18.5 stone. Or leastways I was 6 months ago. I ride my bike. I like exploring. 6 months ago, my blood pressure was right on the edge of high. 6 months ago, I couldn't ride up even the smallest of hills without needing to stop for a breather at the top. 6 months ago, I was not the person I am now. I'm probably still 18.5 stone, but you know what? I.just.don't.care.


Catch me if you can :O)



2 comments:

  1. I know the 17% hill well, it is a "favourite" in a masochistic way. I once used to die up it in granny gear but can ride it in middle ring now...next challenge is to SS it but not brave enough for that yet.

    Recognise most of your ride description! Think permissive means it is at the landowners discretion and may mean a reduction in the maintenance they have to do (or is that concessionary), i.e. they don't necessarily have to make it horseable or bikeable as such.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhh, I see! That makes complete sense - it's just not a phrase I'd ever come across before.

    If I ever ever get to the top of that hill doing anything other than wishing to have died, I shall consider myself very very very lucky. Very. How long have you been riding?

    ReplyDelete